Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Thai Coconut Soup- My Way

I've been wanting to make Thai coconut soup for a very long time, but I never seem to have all the ingredients on hand at the same time. Today was no exception, but I was closer than I'd ever been to having everything that I needed, so I figured "Why not??!!"... haha. I didn't have red curry paste or bamboo shoots, but I was confident I could make it work without those ingredients... well semi confident... Lol. I know the peas aren't a usual component, but I wanted to add some extra nutrition and a little color, and I think they went quite well in the soup :) 




1 can coconut milk
1 cup veggie stock
2 small/med tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tsp sriracha (or more if you like more spice)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yellow curry powder

2 tbsp coconut oil 
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced/grated ginger
1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1 cup julienne sliced carrots 
6 mushrooms halved and finely sliced ( abiout 2 cups)
10 baby corn, sliced into rounds
3/4 cup thinly sliced red pepper
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
1.5 cups bean sprouts

5" piece of lemon grass roughly chopped

3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
Cheese cloth (optional)

Fresh chopped cilantro to garnish

In a high speed blender combine coconut milk, veggie stock, tomatoes, sriracha, salt and curry powder. Blend on high until smooth. Set aside.

Place large pot on stove on medium heat. Add coconut oil and once heated, add onion. Cook for a couple minutes and add garlic and ginger. Pour the contents from the blender into the pot and add the rest of the vegetables. Place lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves in the cheese cloth and tie closed so that they can't get loose. You don't have to do this, but it makes it easier to remove them. Let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Remove cheescloth pouch. Ladle into bowls and serve with fresh chopped cilantro on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment