Friday, June 14, 2013

Dinner Tonight

Tonight I had some roasted poblano peppers in the fridge that I needed to use, some corn tortillas that I had made a couple days a go and needed to use, a few avocados that were on their way to being overripe. My original plan was to make some sort of tacos with the corn tortillas that I had made, but they weren't co-operating and kept breaking when I folded them. Another part of my plan was to make a sauce with the roasted poblano peppers. That part of the plan worked out well, and I will post the recipe below. I ended up making a "taco beef" type mixture using walnuts, onion, mushrooms, with a homemade taco seasoning, a roasted poblano and cilantro cream sauce, rice, guacamole, fried strips of the corn tortillas and salad... lol. I made a wrap with a store bought flour tortilla, rice, poblano sauce, "taco beef", guacamole, salad (greens, lettuce, cucumber mostly), and salsa. My mom and hubby made a taco salad type dish using the strips of fried corn tortillas, salad mix, "taco beef", guacamole, rice and poblano sauce. So everything worked out in the end even though it was a hot mess until the very end!! haha. And we have lots of fried corn tortilla strips left over for snacking! :)
Roasted Poblano and Cilantro Cream Sauce

Roasted Poblano and Cilantro Cream sauce

You will need:

1/4 cup raw cashews
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
2 roasted Poblano peppers peeled and seeded* (See roasting instructions below)
1/3 cup water


Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Simple as that!

*To roast poblano peppers, heat oven to 425 degrees. Rub peppers with olive oil. Place on cookie sheet and roast for approximately 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, until they are softened and turning blackish. Remove from oven and place in a container, cover and let sit for 30 min. Once they have sat for 30 min,  peel and dicard peel, seeds and stem. Store the skinned pepper in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use (for 2-4 days max I'd say).

Taco "Beef" Mixture

You will need:

8 large mushrooms, halved
1 cup roughly chopped onion
1 cup walnut halves
Homemade Taco Seasoning (one batch, you may want to decrease the salt slightly).
1 Tbsp oil (I used grapeseed)

Place onion, mushroom and walnuts in food processor. Pulse until you get a crumbly type mixture... not too fine, you don't want it pasty, but not too chunky, and you don't want to be getting big pieces of walnut. I don't have a picture, but next time I make it I will take one for sure!! Next, heat oil in a frying pan and add the the walnut mixture. Sprinkle in seasoning and fry on medium high until the moisture and left the mushrooms, and it is getting a nice brown crust on it. Now it's ready for whatever you want to use it on! Tacos, burritos, nachos... your choice!


This was my wrap. I know it doesn't look like much, but it was tasty! I layered rice, Poblano Sauce, salad (greens lettuce, cucumber), Taco "Beef", guacamole, and salsa.





No comments:

Post a Comment