Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hudson's Healthier Version (Apple Cinnamon Loaf)

Hi all:) So I decided to make my Apple Cinnamon Loaf again, but this time I wanted to make it in muffin form, and also make it less sugary so that I could give it to my son without feeling like a horrible parent! haha... NOT saying that people who give their kids sugar are horrible parents, I just feel horrible when I know I can do better. You could probably make this with agave nectar or brown rice syrup etc, I just haven't had a chance to try yet. For this version, I reduced the overall sugar, reduced the salt, upped the whole wheat flour, and added ground almonds to the mix. Here is the healthier version:

1+1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup raw sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1+ 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup ground almonds
1 chia egg (I ground my chia seeds. 1 tablespoon chia + 3 tablespoons water)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1+1/4 cups applesauce (unsweetened)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 apple, peeled and chopped (I used a Gala apple)
3/4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 12 tin muffin tray.
Toast walnuts for approximately 10 minutes on a cookie sheet. Just be sure not to burn them.
Combine 1 tablespoon of  ground chia with 3 tablespoons water and set aside (you want it to become slimy and jelly-ish).
In a large bowl, combine all of your wet ingredients (applesauce, maple syrup, oil, and chia egg), plus the chopped apple and walnuts. In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined.
Bake at 350 for approximately 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment