Thursday, January 6, 2011

Peachy Muffins with a Pecan Topping

Hello! Hope everybody had a great holiday break:) Mine was good..... hectic as usual, but all in all, good. My sister bought me "La Dolce Vegan" by Sarah Kramer for Christmas, and I just made these muffins the other night. They definitely aren't health food, but they are vegan, and they are delicious. They are definitely healthier than most store bought muffins for sure!

                                        Recipe taken from "La Dolce Vegan" By Sarah Kramer
You will need:

Topping:
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup sugar (raw cane or brown)
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Muffin:
1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (I used canola)
1/4 cup milk (I used rice milk)
Equivalent of 2 eggs (I used EnerG egg replacer)
1 cup frozen peaches, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil 12 muffin tins, or line with paper liners (I oiled, as I like the way the muffins turn out, plus no waste). In a small bowl, mix together the "topping" ingredients. Set aside. In a large bowl, sift together the dry "muffin" ingredients. Once combined, add in the oil, milk and egg replacer. Mix until just combined. Mine seemed a bit dry, so I added another 1/4 cup of milk. Fold in peaches, and spoon evenly into muffin tins. Sprinkle each muffin with topping mix. I'd recommend pressing the topping mix into the batter a bit, as mine kind of fell off once baked. Bake for 20 to 25 min or until a toothpick or knife come out clean. Let cool completely before removing from pan. Makes 12 muffins.
I was toying around with the idea of changing up the topping a bit, and substituting half the flour for oats (slightly ground), using brown sugar instead of granulated, and using vegan margarine instead of oil. Just an idea! Let me know if you try it! I'm also going to try making a more "tropical" version of this muffin! Can't wait..... mmmmmmmm :)


* Note
Just a side note about all the recipes I make. I use organic ingredients whenever possible. Whenever sugar is listed, it is always a vegan version of brown, granulated or icing sugar. Regular white sugar is usually processed using bone char which comes from animals. Plus white sugar is way more refined, and stripped of all it's natural properties. For salt, I always use sea salt, not table salt. Regular table salt is similar to refined sugar in the sense that it has been stripped of it's natural minerals. Sea salt is a more "whole" version, and doesn't strip your body of it's own minerals. You can get sea salt that is finely ground, just like table salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment